History of IHM Parish
The Catholic presence in High Point began as a mission of the Benedictine Fathers of Belmont Abbey. An occasional Mass was held in the home of James G. Ryan on English Street in 1903 until the family of Edward McCarthy donated land at the corner of Green and Park Streets for the church dedicated to St. Edward on September 29, 1907, by Bishop Leo Haid, OSB, DD.
St. Edward’s became part of the Diocese of Raleigh at its formation in 1924; and in 1926, Masses were celebrated every Sunday.
The property for the IHM Chapel/School was purchased in 1928 for use as a rectory and future location for the new church and school. The first resident pastor, Father John P. Manley, was appointed in 1929.
During World War II parish membership grew to about one hundred parishioners. A new building and a new name for the parish were realized in 1947 when Immaculate Heart of Mary was dedicated on October 26.
IHM School opened in September of that year, and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chestnut Hill, PA, supervised instruction until 1987.
Priests of the new Diocese of Charlotte (established 1972) staffed IHM until the spring of 1989 when the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales were invited by Bishop Donoghue to provide their leadership.
In 1996, thirty-two acres of land were purchased and construction on the new sanctuary at the corner of Johnson Street and Skeet Club Road began in September 2000. By December 2001, parish membership had grown to approximately 1,000 families and the larger worship space was definitely needed. With much excitement, the first Masses in the new church were held Christmas 2001.
On January 15, 2012, the formal Groundbreaking for the Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish Life and Education Center was held and construction began in May 2012. All ministries were moved to the Johnson Street Campus in June 2013. The new Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish Life and Education Center was dedicated on August 11, 2013. IHM is one of the first "LEED for Schools" certified projects in North Carolina. LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for schools includes the following: a building that performs better and more efficiently; ensuring that the health of students and teachers is protected; and enabling the project to be financially profitable and economically viable.
Our Parish is blessed with over 1,700 families representing more than 40 nationalities who are engaged in over 70 ministries serving the church, community and individuals in need. Yes, we can truly say IHM is a parish of generosity and love.